Sunday 12 May 2013

Mile 550ish- Ghost Ranch

Trail angels/Estero's friends Sarah and Calculator
The top of Mt. Taylor!









Looking forward

Well it's been a week of ups and downs here on the trail (temperature and elevation, anyway).  After being dropped back off in Grants from Albequerque, we went up to the top of Mt Taylor.  At over 11,000ft, it gave me an idea of what I'd be enjoying more of in the days to come- being out of breath and slow going up.  Then there was the downhill- in the trees snowy, and in the sun I could basically run down the trail.
The walking to Cuba, NM was lovely, with going up and across and down mesas.  There was a 28-mile waterless stretch, which was a bit arduous, thankfully it was cloudy that day.  We made it into Cuba from Grants (110 miles) in 4 and change days, and headed out again the same day after resupplying.
Lit-up trail.  All those plants are Cholla Cactus, BTW.
Blooming Cactus
After Cuba, we headed up again, only to be snowed on- what!?  Yes, snowed on, while walking through marshy meadows and over patches of snow.  That experience has me thoughtful for what's ahead in the San Juan mountains of southern Colorado.
As we were walking into Ghost Ranch, I was thinking about how happy I currently am and how wonderful life is and how grateful I am for what my mind and body can do and go through, it's such a great place to be in.  I'm so joyful I could burst!






Softwalker and Estero doing sock laundry in the first
flowing stream we've encountered
Walking toward Rio Chama



4 comments:

  1. Love reading your posts! I can feel your joy all the way up here in North Dakota! Keep it up, you're inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can feel something the whole way up there, haha

      Delete
  2. Sock laundry goes a lot faster when you have a motel room hairdryer. Or so I have been told.

    I'm so glad to see that you're having a good hike and enjoying yourself! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much love, I've also heard hairdryers work.....

      Delete