Sunday 30 June 2013

Mile 1260ish- Rabbit Ears Pass/Steamboat Springs, CO

Old shoes with 600 miles on them vs. new shoes
Gray's Peak- highest point on the CDT!










Trail along the ridge
Well, it's been a lovely week in Colorado, now that there's less snow to plow/swim/slosh through.  Unfortunately, that window of time before the bugs come out began closing as we left Frisco- good thing I picked up my bug net and Deet!  Hiking along, we've been able to do larger mileage mostly, though the elevation has begun changing from going up and staying up to up and down and up again.  We hit our lowest elevation-wise points on the trail in Colorado going into Grand Lake.  At a measly 8,000 something feet in elevation, I felt like I was drinking the air it was so thick! 
Everyone making dinner on the fire
We will soon be moving onto a new state- Wyoming- and leaving the high elevation for a while as well, dropping down into the desert before heading back up into the Wind River Range.  My brain has begun to feel fried coming into towns sometimes, and that's how I know I've been in the woods for not long enough!
Goodbye CoolRadBro, Hello WingNoming!
Sometimes the trail looks like this...





Storm clouds rolling in at Devil's Thumb Pass

Pos, Gnar, and I before heading into Steamboat.

Bob, Speedbump, and Kim floating down the Yampa River in Steamboat

1 comment: